Garden report
Oct. 9th, 2019 09:12 amThis year in tomatoes (with tags, for the record):
Purples:
Cherokee Purple--Comes early, prolific, great flavor, A+ would plant again. YES
Japanese Trefele--Comes late, ALL THE BUD END ROT, rots quickly when picked. NO
Black Krim--Later than CP, prone to cracking, great flavor though. YES
Heirlooms:
German Johnson--Super late, super tall. Didn't produce well for us. YES
Cosmonaut--Early red heirloom. Good flavor. YES
French:
Pineapple--SO much bud end rot, but SUCH good flavor and VERY minimal seeds. YES
Mr. Stripey--Sunshiny fairly little orangish fruits. Good flavor. Still producing, though late to come on. YES
Cherries:
Indigo Rose--NO. Weird flavor, quick to rot. NO NO NO
Sweet 100--Put in a bad spot this year, so minimal production. So leggy, but the kids like the little popable tomatoes. YES I guess.
Black cherry--Low production this year but I love this. YES
Misc:
Green Zebra--Not a great flavor/texture unless picked underripe. Will switch out for Berkley striped green. NO
Lemon Boy--One of my faves. Great, sweet fruit. Ours got huge this year. YES.
Last year, but remember:
Yellow Pears--NEVER AGAIN, NOT EVEN ONCE.
It was a rough year for tomatoes, though. Long, cold, wet spring and then it got immediately hot with no rain. So lots of black spot, lots of bud end rot. I know the black spot is in the soil. If I knew what was good for me I'd take a year off of tomatoes but I CAAAAANT.
Purples:
Cherokee Purple--Comes early, prolific, great flavor, A+ would plant again. YES
Japanese Trefele--Comes late, ALL THE BUD END ROT, rots quickly when picked. NO
Black Krim--Later than CP, prone to cracking, great flavor though. YES
Heirlooms:
German Johnson--Super late, super tall. Didn't produce well for us. YES
Cosmonaut--Early red heirloom. Good flavor. YES
French:
Pineapple--SO much bud end rot, but SUCH good flavor and VERY minimal seeds. YES
Mr. Stripey--Sunshiny fairly little orangish fruits. Good flavor. Still producing, though late to come on. YES
Cherries:
Indigo Rose--NO. Weird flavor, quick to rot. NO NO NO
Sweet 100--Put in a bad spot this year, so minimal production. So leggy, but the kids like the little popable tomatoes. YES I guess.
Black cherry--Low production this year but I love this. YES
Misc:
Green Zebra--Not a great flavor/texture unless picked underripe. Will switch out for Berkley striped green. NO
Lemon Boy--One of my faves. Great, sweet fruit. Ours got huge this year. YES.
Last year, but remember:
Yellow Pears--NEVER AGAIN, NOT EVEN ONCE.
It was a rough year for tomatoes, though. Long, cold, wet spring and then it got immediately hot with no rain. So lots of black spot, lots of bud end rot. I know the black spot is in the soil. If I knew what was good for me I'd take a year off of tomatoes but I CAAAAANT.